Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Frontline Staff

Consult 4 Kids receives a lot of input from the frontline staff out in the field. We provide a forum for afterschool professionals to share their experiences, challenges, praises, and best practices with other professionals in the field. Often, when we are struggling though issues or problems, we forget that there is probably someone out there who has dealt with similar, if not identical, issues and problems. It is valuable to connect with people in the field who have had similar experiences and learn how they were able to overcome the challenge.

Check out what tips and tricks these frontline staff members have to offer other professionals in the field…

This has been said over and over but I don't think it can be said enough. In my opinion, the first and most important step in classroom management is to establish the routine of setting the expectation for the behavior for the activity planned before you enter the classroom. It works.
Wendell Crawford Site Coordinator, Mission Middle School, THINK Together

I am starting to get really excited about the new school year. I cannot wait to use the accountability model on my new group of 4th graders. I have been reading a lot in the vocational training as well as viewing tons of online instruction videos to get ready to hold students accountable with questioning techniques and knowing the difference between directing and telling. I feel that using the resources on the website during the summer has helped keep me fresh and I am ready to move forward. - Rosa Hernandez, Program Leader.

This summer, my program did not run according to plans. It was like the students completely forgot how to act at school, they were back talking, arguing, being disrespectful to tutors and their peers, quite frankly, it was a mess. I didn’t understand how or why this happened. Most of the students in my summer program had been in the afterschool program and should have known the expectations so I didn’t think that we needed to review. Obviously, I was wrong. I think if I had took the time to explain the expectations and made sure that every understood the agreements for the summer program, things would have gone much more smoothly. Next time, I will be sure to review the expectations and agreements briefly everyday to avoid the misbehavior I experienced this summer. – Victor Sandoval, Site Coordinator.

Don’t forget to visit the Consult 4 Kids website for more helpful hints from frontline staff. www.consultfourkids.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think...