Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What We're Reading: "Platform" by Michael Hyatt




Master consultant, CynDee, is reading Platform. Check out her takeaways below. 




Are you confused about how to use social media in a coherent system to get your message out? Would you like your stakeholders and partners to know about the great things you are doing? Do you struggle with knowing who to follow, how to use Twitter and text messaging, and what it means to use your website to support your work? Michael Hyatt, former CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers, has written Platform: Get Noticed In A Noisy World, to share the answers to these and many other questions with you and me.

Now if you are social media savvy, Hyatt’s information will serve as a confirmation for what you already know. Well, it is also possible that you will learn a new thing or two as well. For those of us who are less knowledgeable, many of your confusions will be resolved.

Have you ever wondered what the difference is between tweeting and texting? Surprising to me is that texting is considered more “personal” for friends rather than business partners or business updates. I did not know that. I also didn't know that a coordinated effort between a blog, a website, Twitter, and so on, make a difference. It makes sense to me now. Another thing I really liked is that I could both read the book and listen to Hyatt read the text. Since I spend a lot of time on the road, I have had the opportunity to listen to Platform more than once, and I can assure you I have learned more and deepened my understanding each and every time.

It’s a book I would recommend to those of you who are trying to get a handle on social media. I’ve decided that if for no other reason I have a much better understanding of the world that my grandchildren think of as “normal” and “regular”. It also helped me to recommit to regular blogging.





This post is part of our "What We're Reading" series, an effort in which we hope to model our philosophy of lifelong learning and development. Each post in the series will feature a book that one our C4K team members is currently reading (or re-reading!). If you have a suggestion for a book we should be reading, let us know by commenting below or sending us the title here. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think...